Your food business staff need to be washing their hands properly and frequently to maintain a healthy kitchen!
Washing is important to help prevent harmful bacteria from spreading from peoples’ hands.
All staff that work with food must wash their hands:
- when in the kitchen or preparation area
- before preparing food
- after touching raw food
- after handling food waste or emptying a bin
- after cleaning
- after blowing their nose
- after touching phones, light switches, door handles and cash registers
- After a toilet break
- After sneezing, coughing
- After touching hair
- After changing any task within the kitchen
- After taking in deliveries
Follow these five steps every time for correct and effective hand washing.
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
Staff should dry their hands on a disposable towel. This is because harmful bacteria can spread on wet or damp hands.
Use a disposable towel to turn off the tap.
Did you know?
Your business must provide an adequate number of wash hand basins suitably located – hot and cold running water, cleaning materials and material for hygienic drying of hands.
Is washing your hands with water enough?
NO – Germs that can cause diseases lodge in the dirt, grease, and the natural oils on hands. … Soap also facilitates rubbing and friction which can remove germs from the hands, and so that germs can be rinsed away with water. Using soap also adds to the time spent washing and ensures a more effective wash.
How can we help?
Food Safe System ensures your staff follow the correct Food Safety Protocols and that all your Food Safety procedures are up to date, compliant and carried out.