Stay up to date with all the latest Food Safety regulations with this free online food safety training offered by the FSA
We have free online food safety courses available to help you and your business comply with food hygiene and food standards. Our e-learning courses include:
- Allergen training(Opens in a new window)
- Labelling training(Opens in a new window)
- Root cause analysis training(Opens in a new window)
- Traceability training(Opens in a new window)
- Vacuum packing training(Opens in a new window)
We provide free online food allergy training (Opens in a new window). You can learn more about managing allergens in a kitchen as well as how to cater for allergen information requirements. It’s suitable for all staff members as you must make sure that staff are trained to manage allergens.
Your staff should:
- know the procedures when asked to provide allergen information
- be trained to handle allergen information requests
- be able to guarantee that allergen-free meals are served to the right customer
- know the risks and prevent allergen cross-contamination when handling and preparing foods
Our interactive food allergy course consists of six modules, each with a test at the end. Once you pass these tests, you can download your continuing professional development (CPD) certificate. This allergens course is available in English and Welsh.
Our free food labelling e-learning course (Opens in a new window)will give you a general understanding of current food labelling legislation. The course modules include:
- Mandatory information and legibility
- Country of origin labelling
- Protected food names
Root cause analysis training
Our free online Root Cause Analysis Course for Food Businesses course (Opens in a new window)will provide you with an understanding of the theory and practice of Root Cause Analysis (RCA). Developed with Food Standards Scotland (Opens in a new window)it explores the method of problem-solving that identifies the causes of faults or problems in the food supply chain.
Our traceability e-learning course (Opens in a new window)focuses on the principles and practice of traceability and how this relates to your role and responsibilities.
Modules in our free online traceability course include:
- background and overview of legislation
- requirements in Regulation 178/2002 for all food
- traceability and food business operations
Vacuum packing training
Our online training course about vacuum packing (Opens in a new window)and modified atmosphere packing of food will give you a basic understanding of the vacuum packing processes and the importance of microbiological safety in their use.
Food hygiene courses and certificates
In the UK, food handlers don’t have to hold a food hygiene certificate to prepare or sell food. But food business operators must ensure that food handlers receive the appropriate supervision and training in food hygiene. This must be in-line with the area staff work in and to enable them to handle food safely.
The skills taught in official training programmes can also be learned by:
- training on-the-job
- relevant prior experience
You may also want to download our Safer food, better business (SFBB) information packs for businesses. We provide downloads for food businesses including:
- Chinese cuisine in English and Cantonese
- Indian cuisine
- residential care homes
We also have teaching resources for colleges.
Your local authority (Opens in a new window)may also provide or recommend food hygiene courses.